If you find just breathing is holding your swimming back... check out this step-by-step guide that shows you the technique you need to allow you to breathe efficiently.
Here's my top 10 tips...
1. Make sure to rotate your body side to side when swimming freestyle, this makes it easy to get your face out for a breath.
2. Be relaxed in the water, being tense uses a lot of energy and and limits your flow.
3. Always exhale underwater and inhale over the water.
4. Do not lift your head up for a breath, instead just roll your face out of the water to the side.
5. Do not hold your breath for too long, breathe every 3 or 2 strokes. You should be breathing all the time, not waiting until you need a breath.
6. Try to keep one ear in the water when breathing, this will make sure you remain streamline and do not lift your head.
7. Make sure to leave your arm out in front gliding forward while breathing, this will help forward movement and prevent sinking.
8. If you only breathe on one side, practice breathing on both sides every now and again to help balance the body.
9. Before you get in the pool, take some large breaths in and out to stretch out your lungs, this will make it feel easier to breathe when you are swimming.
10. If you are struggling contact me and I can work with you.
Learning how to breathe is the basic fundamental of swimming.